File Sharing

Suggestions about the site, forums to add and contact the admin here.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Post Reply
User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

File Sharing

Post by CrazyIvan »

How can we go about making files downloadable on the forum? Given that the forum itself probably doesn't want to host multi-megabyte files, what can we use?

Ideally:
  • Free
  • Hosts files >10MB
  • No restriction on file type or format
  • No expiry date
  • No-fuss anonymous download link postable in forum posts
  • Download stats available
I have been using Dropbox, but it falls down on the last two points. It makes no stats available, and it isn't no-fuss. If you simply post the share link they provide, somebody trying to download with it has to run a gauntlet of Dropbox entreaties to sign in or sign up (all of which can be dismissed, but it's a pain) and eventually arrive at a Dropbox web page showing the resources which can be downloaded from there.

This can be improved: by manually editing the share link to change "www" to "dl", and chop off the "?dl=0" at the end, the link becomes a direct download with none of the other fuss (the fuss is to edit the link in the first place). However, there is no telling how long Dropbox will maintain this loophole.

Does anybody know how to arrange a direct download from Google Drive?
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


3dadmin
Site Admin
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by 3dadmin »

Have you looked at Mega.nz ?
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by CrazyIvan »

3dadmin wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:22 am Have you looked at Mega.nz ?
I did have a squint at Mega, but I can't see that it ticks more boxes than Dropbox. Does it?
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


3dadmin
Site Admin
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by 3dadmin »

CrazyIvan wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 8:59 am
3dadmin wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:22 am Have you looked at Mega.nz ?
I did have a squint at Mega, but I can't see that it ticks more boxes than Dropbox. Does it?
Most of these sharing sites are similar. But mega offers 50GB (they may have changed this to 20GB now) on free plan. Easy sharing of files.
Encryption as standard. I use it cos its normally pretty fast for my 1Gbit connection (on the free plan BTW).
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by CrazyIvan »

3dadmin wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 11:58 am Easy sharing of files.
How about PM'ing me a share link for something (minor) to download?

Yes, the free 50GB is definitely a bonus over Dropbox, and I mighty have jumped if I could find out how many devices can sync to one account (free Dropbox is limited to 3), or even if it syncs at all (the website is not clear).

Does it do stats though??
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


3dadmin
Site Admin
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by 3dadmin »

CrazyIvan wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 2:12 pm
3dadmin wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 11:58 am Easy sharing of files.
How about PM'ing me a share link for something (minor) to download?

Yes, the free 50GB is definitely a bonus over Dropbox, and I mighty have jumped if I could find out how many devices can sync to one account (free Dropbox is limited to 3), or even if it syncs at all (the website is not clear).

Does it do stats though??
It doesn't have stats as far as I know.
I suppose you could use a link forwarder for stats.

Heres a small file:

https://mega.nz/file/vcYlnKRa#kAg68f9P2 ... HLkyV_mTHA

If you want me to send you a larger file let me know.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by CrazyIvan »

I see. So you get a web page with the option to download rather than an immediate download (my massaged Dropbox link is an immediate download).
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


3dadmin
Site Admin
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by 3dadmin »

They also have a new feature called transfer.it which allows you to send terabytes of data. Ive not used it.

Google drive is the other one I use.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: File Sharing

Post by CrazyIvan »

3dadmin wrote: Thu Nov 13, 2025 6:39 pm They also have a new feature called transfer.it which allows you to send terabytes of data. Ive not used it.
My connection is about 3Mbps down and less than 1Mbps up. I don't think I'll be using that either! :lol:
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

LOL (1)
3dadmin

Post Reply