Commissioning My Snapmaker U1

Moderator: CrazyIvan

User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: Commissioning My Snapmaker U1

Post by CrazyIvan »

I've been contemplating the future of my Tina2S. Originally I thought I would still use it for jobs it can do (PLA, up to 100mm each way), but the U1 prints faster and more reliably, so I then started thinking I might as well mothball the Tina2S or pass it on.

I might still pass it on if there is a compelling demand, but I am now thinking I have a largish batch of items to print which I originally developed on the Tina2S, and doing the repeat production on it avoids tying up the U1.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: Commissioning My Snapmaker U1

Post by CrazyIvan »

For whatever reason, toolhead swapper anomalies have completely vanished (that's jinxed it!) and I have printed loads of things.

The weapon of choice is now PETG with PLA support (made easily available by the U1 being a tool-changer – see up-thread if you don't know what I mean by that), which itself has been more of a learning curve than I would have expected – but I'll talk about that in the appropriate section.

With the heated and textured PEI build plate, I have very few problems with Layer 1 sticking, as long as it has a very simple outline (no sharp bends/corners) or I print it REALLY SLOWLY (set layer 1 to a crawl in the slicer). I can see why rafts are generally despised, if this is the first-time experience a newcomer gets, but I still find them useful at times... if only Orca handled rafts as nicely as Cura! Cura makes lovely rafts (I didn't realise how lovely), Orca's rafts are terrible. So terrible, they hardly solve the problem – which might be another reason people despise rafts!

What's new:

1. I am now running on a set of hardened steel nozzles with DLC (diamond-like coating) and high-flow hot-end, as a result of being accepted as a beta tester for them. I've not explored the hi-flo capability yet, but they work for my print files that were sliced without hi-flo characteristics. Firmware and slicer support is a bit patchy at the moment.

That leaves me with an unused set of hardened steel nozzles I bought with the U1 in the first place – anybody want them?

2. The top cover has arrived, ordered at the same time as the U1 in the Kickstarter. This should add ABS and ASA (etc) to my materials capability, by keeping the print chamber warmer, but I will be reluctant to use that until I can improve the cooling for the control eectronics.

3. A third party designed a adaptation to the tool-heads that should reduce the risk of mis-feeds when loading filament behind a filament that ran out (rather than being deliberately unloaded by the user), and offered a limited number of CNC-machined parts to the community. I bought a set, and they've arrived, but I won't be trying them out until the hi-flo trials are over.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


Post Reply