Are all PLA filaments as good as one another?

All things relating to the materials used with 3D printers.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Post Reply
HobGoblyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2025 10:58 am
Location: Norfolk UK

Are all PLA filaments as good as one another?

Post by HobGoblyn »

Hi

On Amazon if I want a roll of normal PLA in say black, I have a choice for a 1kg roll ranging from a lot of different makes for £10.99 and prices going up from there.

While it's only a few £ difference for one roll, it all adds up

So, is there any noticeable difference in the £10.99 brands between say
Esun, Landu, Deeplee, Tecbears, Yuaneang, Tinmorry etc etc etc

and why pay say £13.99 plus for brands such as
Elegoo, Sunlu, Jayo, Anycubic, Eryone, Amazon Basics etc etc etc

Are the more expensive ones any better?

Thanks
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

Printer: Creality K1C

User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: Are all PLA filaments as good as one another?

Post by CrazyIvan »

Well, actually I've taken to using Elegoo PLA+. Much easier to use.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


HobGoblyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2025 10:58 am
Location: Norfolk UK

Re: Are all PLA filaments as good as one another?

Post by HobGoblyn »

Thanks, I've decided to order various colours of Elegoo Rapid PLA +

Seems a reasonable price on Amazon, hopefully it will print fine
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY

Printer: Creality K1C

User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: Are all PLA filaments as good as one another?

Post by CrazyIvan »

For any filament, take notice of the parameters for that particular filament provided by the manufacturer (the better makers print it or put it on a label on the spool). For Elegoo PLA+, I use 210ºC with a 215ºC first layer.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


kevsbox
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:56 pm

Quality of PLA

Post by kevsbox »

Hi

I have been trying different brands of PLA and I find with some (usually the cheaper ones on Amazon) the filament is twisted on the spool and as a result the PLA stops feeding through and the print is ruined.

I am now wanting to stick with 1 supplier/make of PLA but one which is good quality so what do you good people suggest.

Thanks

Kev
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


User avatar
CrazyIvan
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:25 am

Re: Are all PLA filaments as good as one another?

Post by CrazyIvan »

See posts above. I merged your post into this thread, as it's the same subject.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


Post Reply