Composing in the Slicer

Discuss 3D printing software.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Post Reply
KenW
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:10 am

Composing in the Slicer

Post by KenW »

I have a problem: a thread which needs to have its orientation adjusted according to how the part it is supposed to mate with has been manufactured. The part has a thread machined onto it, but the angle of the thread start is variable from part to part (no consistency), so for the part to screw into my printed housing and end up in the correct orientation, I need to adjust the angle at which the thread starts in the housing.

I can measure the adjustment required using a printed test jig, then I thought I can use parametric design in FreeCAD to set the adjustment, then export and slice to print each individual housing tuned for the part to be used.

Then I realised there’s an easier way. Design the housing without the thread at all, plus a separate “insert” with the thread, as two separate .stl files.

Then, in the slicer (I’m talking Cura, but I guess the same applies to other slicers), import both and merge them, with the thread insert orientated as required. The slicer config can be saved and recalled to reprint with a different orientation, rather than having to go back into FreeCAD, re-export, re-slice.

The same technique could be used for any print which requires variation between prints.
 

POSTREACT(ions) SUMMARY


Post Reply