Page 1 of 1

Z Offset vs Z-Probe Offset?

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2024 9:03 am
by Oxalainen
Alrighty, I broke my Sovol SV05 couple of weeks ago. I had been printing PETG for a week straight, day & night, and finally the material started oozing through the hotend. Not a biggie and not the first time, but now I snapped the stupidly thin wire of the thermistor while I was cleaning off the gunk.

The easiest way to go would had been, of course, just to replace the thermistor, but as I had to do some work for the machine anyway, I decided to upgrade the entire carriage with a complete BIQU H2 V2S kit. The stock extruder on SV05 had been working alright, but as the machine was getting old, it was a good candidate for this kind of project too. The H2 V2S is now in place, the job truly stretched the meaning of the phrase 'drop-in', and some 3D printed parts I found online (mounting plate, for example) were probably designed for earlier revision of the SV05, as they needed serious mods to fit right on my machine. But now everything's pretty much in place and at least the machine hasn't thrown any error mesages at me during startup.

I do, however, have one issue. With the mounting plate, the nozzle now sits quite a bit lower than the original one, but the CRTouch proble still sits in its original position, few mms higher than the nozzle and when I home the carriage, the nozzle presses quite firmly to the bed, obviously. I'm wondering, can I just print a mounting bracket for the CRTouch probe, to make it a few mms, lower, or should I set the new height via control panel? In both cases, I'm assuming I need to do CRTouch recalibration anyway.

Another question, I was told that Z Offset is NOT the same as Z-Probe Offest, but I can only access Z-Probe Offset settings in the SV05, through bed leveling options. What's the difference between these two, and where I could find a good tutorial explaining me the difference? The tutorials I've found so far just explain basically the process I do through the SV05's bed leveling options, and they're labelled as 'Z-Probe Offset'. Yet, I've been persistently adviced that they're not the same. What is, then?

Image

No pic of the CRTouch, but it's behind that part cooling fan. I also have new mount/duct for that part cooling fan coming up soon, as the current one doesn't quite hit the right spot, LOL!

Re: Z Offset vs Z-Probe Offset?

Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2024 9:19 am
by CrazyIvan
I don't see how you can work with a touch-type Z probe sitting higher than the nozzle. Surely the carriage will ground before the Z probe manages to sense the print bed? Therefore, you need to get the Z probe down so that it can contact the bed before the nozzle does.

Z offset is the gap between the nozzle and the bed when the Gcode sends the nozzle to Z=0. I presume Z probe offset lets you dial in what the difference is between when the Z probe makes contact and when the nozzle makes contact, but it doesn't seem necessary to do that – it could all be in the one setting.