Search found 25 matches

by Oxalainen
Mon Feb 02, 2026 12:28 pm
Forum: Materials
Topic: ABS vs. PETG
Replies: 6
Views: 585

Re: ABS vs. PETG

I'm not sure if CrazyIvan has had a chance to test that new U1, or the steel nozzles, but I'll chime in for a small 'mid-term' report of my own!

I still haven't tried ABS, but I got more into PETG as I had interest to offer a bit more durable material for certain jobs. I realised my Flashforge AD5M ...
by Oxalainen
Tue Dec 09, 2025 11:03 am
Forum: Objects
Topic: help with making print look good,
Replies: 12
Views: 923

Re: help with making print look good,


Really? You would have thought anything to make the machine less firm would make it worse! The general wisdom is to stand a printer on a paving slab rather than polystyrene.


I know!!! Hard to believe. I based this experiment on one older Thomas Sanladerer video on YT, to be more precise this ...
by Oxalainen
Tue Dec 09, 2025 6:58 am
Forum: Objects
Topic: help with making print look good,
Replies: 12
Views: 923

Re: help with making print look good,

I wish I was more a spreadsheet guy than I actually am, as I could also use a bit of quality tune-up with my Adventurer 5M. Especially when eliminating ringing.

However, with my Sovol SV-05 I actually got noticeably less ringing by placing plastic foam pads under the machine's own rubber foot pads ...
by Oxalainen
Tue Dec 02, 2025 7:59 am
Forum: Objects
Topic: help with making print look good,
Replies: 12
Views: 923

Re: help with making print look good,

Very little to add to CrazyIvan's recommendations, but when I usually post a problem into FB group, the most common reply is short and pointless 'Dry your filament' . But sometimes that can be a problem too. And, annoyingly enough, even with brand new, factory sealed filament.

If supports are ...
by Oxalainen
Mon Dec 01, 2025 1:07 pm
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: 3d print detail / nozzle size
Replies: 3
Views: 367

Re: 3d print detail / nozzle size

I haven't experimented with smaller than 0.4mm nozzles either, as I've always found 0.4mm nozzle and 0.12mm layer height more than adequate for detail. I once even tried 0.1mm layer height, as that was an option for my old Sovol SV-05 in the slicer. Printed nice, but there was a huge elephant foot ...
by Oxalainen
Mon Dec 01, 2025 12:55 pm
Forum: 3D Printers - FDM (filament)
Topic: Buying an Enclosed Printer for ABS!
Replies: 7
Views: 11293

Re: Buying an Enclosed Printer for ABS!

As a minor update to this thread, I eventually did not get an enclosed printer back when I started this topic. I had to place that money eslewhere, and since then I've been postponing the leap, because there's always something more important to buy, LOL! After the summer 2025, for example, both of ...
by Oxalainen
Thu Nov 20, 2025 7:29 am
Forum: Software
Topic: Cura vs. Orca
Replies: 1
Views: 363

Cura vs. Orca


I suggest you try Orca. My brief research indicates it has built-in profiles for the K1 and K1 Max (update: confirmed), and it claims to be a good fit for Klipper-based printers (Klipper is one of the firmwares which run FDM printers, Marlin being the other main one).

Cura is very old-school ...
by Oxalainen
Thu Nov 13, 2025 11:53 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Which Modeling Software to Learn
Replies: 5
Views: 400

Re: Which Modeling Software to Learn


For information, Nomad Sculpt is currently listed on the UK iOS app store at £19.99 – which is quite pricey for the app store but still a snip if you can genuinely make use of it. It looks great though. It seems to me they should have a 'Lite' version available for potential purchasers to be able ...
by Oxalainen
Thu Nov 13, 2025 11:41 am
Forum: Materials
Topic: ABS vs. PETG
Replies: 6
Views: 585

Re: ABS vs. PETG

I haven't printed ABS, as I don't have fully enclosed printer in my arsenal -yet. But I ran through few kg of PETG about 18 months ago!

The Mrs and my son got interested in geocaching about... Well, 18 months ago. And after they had found a few, my wife asked me if I could do custom geocache ...
by Oxalainen
Thu Nov 13, 2025 9:29 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Which Modeling Software to Learn
Replies: 5
Views: 400

Re: Which Modeling Software to Learn

I've been using TinkerCad ever since I started 3D printing. And I still use it for, say, 97% of the jobs, as I've gotten used to the software and I know how to work around the app's limitations. I also have a 2D vector graphic software, CorelDraw, which I have been using (in various versions) since ...