Springer Spaniel

Get help on your object. Also the place to share objects for free or just show off your design.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

KenW

Springer Spaniel

Post by KenW »

Didn't design it (paid download).

75mm high, Tina2, transparent PLA. 5h print.

zerocool

Re: Springer Spaniel

Post by zerocool »

Hi nice print.

Approx how much would something like that cost to print ? Is your printer an FDM printer ?

KenW

Post by KenW »

zerocool wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:49 pm Hi nice print.
Thanks
Is your printer an FDM printer ?
Yes, Tina2
Approx how much would something like that cost to print ?
According to Cura, that required 19g of filament. A 1kg reel costs about £16 (UK) so that’s about 30p worth (not counting the depreciation on the printer nor the electricity to run it). Then, if I were doing this commercially, there’s the time input starting the print off and monitoring it (with the possibility of having to abort and restart, with consequent additional cost of filament etc), and time spent removing the support material (perhaps half an hour, and even that can go wrong).

Oh, and I paid about £8 for the design.

zerocool

Post by zerocool »

KenW wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:31 am
zerocool wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:49 pm Hi nice print.
Thanks
Is your printer an FDM printer ?
Yes, Tina2
Approx how much would something like that cost to print ?
According to Cura, that required 19g of filament. A 1kg reel costs about £16 (UK) so that’s about 30p worth (not counting the depreciation on the printer nor the electricity to run it). Then, if I were doing this commercially, there’s the time input starting the print off and monitoring it (with the possibility of having to abort and restart, with consequent additional cost of filament etc), and time spent removing the support material (perhaps half an hour, and even that can go wrong).

Oh, and I paid about £8 for the design.
Thanks a lot. Gives me something to think about.

KenW

Post by KenW »

I’m finding it the devil’s own job trying to separate the model from the support. Despite how it looks in the photo, under the dog’s jaw is supposed to be a hollow, and trying to get the support out I broke through the printed wall.

I tried printing 180 degrees rotated, so the top of the head is the base, but now the chin is the floor for other support, and still impossible to remove. Currently I have a print running with the model on its back.

CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

This seems to me an excellent example of why a twin extruder might be very useful. With two extruders (and nozzles etc), one can be loaded with a different type of filament to use exclusively as support. That different filament can be chosen to peel away easier, or be dissolved in water.

I'll add that to the wish-list for my next FDM printer, but how far to put it up the priorities? Does it trump, for example, a heated bed? Hmm.