Disaster Showcase

Specific discussion of FDM printers (fused deposition modelling - ie filament), with sections for makes and models.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan

Disaster Showcase

Post by CrazyIvan »

Show us your print disasters here!

(and discuss the cause, if you wish)

Put your printer model in the subject of your post.

CrazyIvan

Tina2

Post by CrazyIvan »

I'll kick off: 8 hours into a 12-hour print (my most ambitious yet) left running overnight:

Maybe too ambitious!

What I think has happened is warp and loss of adhesion. One edge of the build has detached from the plate (actually it's peeled the masking tape off the plate), which has then obstructed the motion of the print head and made the magnetic plate shift on the carriage (I found it diagonal!).

Antipodean

Re: Tina2

Post by Antipodean »

CrazyIvan wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:17 am I'll kick off: 8 hours into a 12-hour print (my most ambitious yet) left running overnight:
Oh dear, looks like it was a sizable print in footprint as well as height ... :(

CrazyIvan

Re: Tina2

Post by CrazyIvan »

Basically a cylinder 98mm in diameter by 30mm height (should have been 100mm, but Cura refused to slice anything over 98mm).

I've tried to run it several times since, but I've had to abort every time when the first layers warp and pull away from the build plate around the edges. It seems to me this scale of print is not possible without a heated bed or a more stable filament.

CrazyIvan

Re: Disaster Showcase

Post by CrazyIvan »

It seems I was too pessimistic!

I had an idea that if I could improve the adhesion that might be sufficient to hold the print flat instead of it curling. That meant the adhesion of the print to the tape and the tape to the magnetic build plate. Then I realised I've been using ordinary masking tape as the interface layer, and that's what's been letting go – either above or below.

I had just one sheet of the OEM "platform sticker" material left (which is why I've been using masking tape), so I decided to try it. For good measure, I also warmed the bed up before and during the first layer, with a hot air gun. It's not good science to change two variables at once, but I was after security rather than science.

CrazyIvan

Re: Disaster Showcase

Post by CrazyIvan »

So what do you do if you have a cantilevered platform not on the base? No grip tape, just the printed support roof under it. Yep, the platform warped! Ho hum.