sticking prints

General discussion on 3D hardware from beginner to expert.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

fodis_uk

sticking prints

Post by fodis_uk »

hi all , new to the forum and the 3d printing scene, iv been printing for a month now and slowly learning along the way , however im having troubles with my pla prints sticking too well , printer is a tronxy, aluminium bed with the blue builder tape matt ( not sure what there called ) . works fine for small prints but anything with a large area of contact is a nightmare to get off , couple of times its ripped the tape off its stuck so well , ive tried heating the bed up to soften them however if not careful it softens it so it deforms as your pulling it off .is there an alternative bed matt that doesn't stick so much , my 1st layer height is set at 0.2 and 1st layer speed at 30% , any advice would be appreciated cheers

iDig3Dprinting

Re: sticking prints

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

We have not encountered this with PLA and masking tape (it's a UK forum so we are allowed to call it masking tape). you could try increasing the bed-nozzle height for the first layer. If it is squishing it down alot i.e. is very close, this may make it harder to get off.

For PLA we use Kapton tape and a bed temp of 60C. Kapton tape is a more expensive and trickier to put on but it also creates a very smooth bottom finish to your models.

We fit kapton onto a glass plate (don't know about your printer) by dipping the sticky side in water with some washing up liquid and then smoothing out the bubbles. There are some youtube videos on this.

The other possibility may be to get some cheap masking tape from a different brand and try that?
iDig3DPrinting -
Your source for 3D printers, 3D printing accessories and filament.

Kmxsoft

Post by Kmxsoft »

For PLA you might want to consider buying Lexan plates. Lexan is a plastic which parts stick to, and are incredibly easy to remove after printing.

A 2mm plate allows you to brnd the plate, which releases the printed part. You can buy cut-to-size plates from:

https://www.directplastics.co.uk/catalo ... t/?q=lexan

2mm thickness is good. Buy several so thzt you experiment with height - if too close then the PLA will bond to the Lexan, making it impossible to break free.
Creality CR-10S owner posting as a private individual.

fodis_uk

Post by fodis_uk »

Cheers, I'm thinking this is the problem that it's pushing the pla into the tape, can I use glass or lexan with an auto level printer as I read somewhere that they won't work properly

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

Heres a video of somebody else talking about this issue:
iDig3DPrinting -

Kmxsoft

Post by Kmxsoft »

fodis_uk wrote:Cheers, I'm thinking this is the problem that it's pushing the pla into the tape, can I use glass or lexan with an auto level printer as I read somewhere that they won't work properly
The reason that auto-levelling doesn't work with auto-levelling is probably because the sensor being used is an INDUCTIVE sensor. These don't work with glass plates because the glass in invisible to the sensor, which is relying on the magnetic effects of metal to reflect the signal - the signal doesn't reflect with glass.

Using a CAPACITIVE sensor does the trick. Capacitive sensors work with all surfaces (including glass and lexan).

However if it is a BL-Touch sensor then no problem, because the sensor touches the surface.

steveprinters29

Post by steveprinters29 »

You can go for some exceptional print bed surfaces to prevent the prints from sticking too fast on the surface. Some of the best materials you can get are:

• Kapton tape with hair spray

• Blue Painter’s Tape

• BuildTak

• PEI

•Silicon wafers etc.

All these products ensure suitable adhesion of the filament and the objects come out easily after being printed.

https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.com/d ... 3d-printer

Kmxsoft

Post by Kmxsoft »

If you use ABS then you don't need any help with sticking.

1) Clean the glass bed with alcohol - the bed MUST BE grease free.
2) Heat the bed to 110 degrees. Tnhis temperature can be impossible with some printers (Creality CR-10 can't get over 90 degrees, or very time consuming. Using a mains powered Keenova heater to fix both problems:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KEENOVO-Sili ... 2446548129

NOTE: Wiring with mains voltage can be dangerous - don't do this if you aren't electrically competent!

3) Print as normal.

On completion the print is stuck fast. When the bed cools to about 70 degrees it will pop off. You get nice prints which don't need cleaning up, and a clean build plate.

iDig3Dprinting

Post by iDig3Dprinting »

We now have LokBuild in stock which is a multi-material print surface
iDig3DPrinting -