Main board fried?

Specific discussion of FDM printers (fused deposition modelling - ie filament), with sections for makes and models.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Oxalainen

Main board fried?

Post by Oxalainen »

Alrighty then... Did I, or did I not just fry the main board in my Artillery Sidewinder X2?

I've been struggling with nozzle swap in this particular machine for couple of weeks already, this Artillery seems to be especially finicky with nozzle swaps and I constantly did it wrong. Today I finally got new PTFE tube (along with actual tube clippers to get perfectly cut end on the tube) and after having cleaned the heat block mounting hole with thread tap, I was sure I'll get the nozzle flush with heat break and PTFE tube.

But, as I was heating up the hotend for final tightening, I swear I saw a mild puff of smoke coming from the vent of the bed frame -where main board sits. After that the nozzle temp started dropping by itself. Soon after that the machine restarted itself, a few times. I shut everything off for a minute, then switched back on. The screen went bonkers, showing half of the selected menu and half main menu. I noticed the cooling fan was also out, so I swapped into spare one. Now the machine booted fine, I even got to level the bed, but once I started loading filament, the nozzle temp reached 200C but again started dropping by itself.

Fortunately, new main board isn't expensive. I'm just annoyed by the fact that I probably need to wait a month before receiving one, as Artillery's service isn't exactly the fastest around. I might be able to score one off Amazon too, but at noticeably higher cost.

CrazyIvan

Re: Main board fried?

Post by CrazyIvan »

Found this on a Reddit page:
I've had this same issue. I did some trouble shooting from changing thermistor to making sure all cables are not damaged and plugged in. To even changing the entire hotend with another printers head. I spent hours trying to figure this problem out. I got in contact with support, and they sent me a semi detailed list of things to check next. I can send you the email with the instructions. After doing everything I used a multi meter to determine that a mosfet chip on my mainboard went bad. Which is an issue on older X2's with the ruby main board 1.0. So in short the fix for me was a new mainboard.

Other people mention a thermistor failed (more likely a thermocouple).