Moderator: CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan

Octoprint

Post by CrazyIvan »

Anybody know anything about it?

KenW

Re: Octoprint

Post by KenW »

I've been wondering about it, as I have several RPis at my disposal. I am only a short way into my preliminary investigations, but so far as I can gather it is a means to add smart facilities to dumb 3D printers.

There are some nice summaries of what to expect:

https://all3dp.com/2/reasons-to-use-octoprint

...so it looks like it provides the ability to upload a print file to the printer remotely (home network) using a web browser to interface to the control panel on the RPi, and the RPi then sends the Gcode direct to the printer instead of the printer reading the Gcode off a memory card.

The status can be read back, and if a webcam is connected the actual printing monitored remotely.

Then with the addition of an AstroPrint account, the OctoPi (RPi running Octoprint) can be linked through to that and all those facilities operated across the Internet instead of just the home network:

Then there are community extensions which add further capability, including the possibility of slicing on the OctoPi.

What I'm not clear about yet is how much of this applies to a Tina2. There is a mention:

https://poloprint.net/topic/30/this-is- ... -the-tina2

It appears there are no presets for any particular printer and you have to set up the physical parameters yourself.

I want to investigate a few points. In particular, the sources talk about making sure the printer is turned on before the connected RPi, so as to avoid the RPi trying to power the printer. Is this really a thing, specifically with the Tina2? If it is, couldn't we just use a USBA-USBB with the +5V wire disconnected? How about powering the RPi from the Tina2, either using the same lead or an extra one?

Something else to consider is that one OctoPi can run several printers.

Interesting stuff, but I don't foresee being able to follow it up in the near future.