Metal Extruder Available (Tina2)?

Moderator: CrazyIvan

slybunda

Metal Extruder Available (Tina2)?

Post by slybunda »

anyone know if there is an all metal bowden available for this printer? it looks like it may be similar to a MK8 extruder on creality printers.

CrazyIvan

Re: Tina2 Anatomy & Repair

Post by CrazyIvan »

slybunda wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:34 am anyone know if there is an all metal bowden available for this printer? it looks like it may be similar to a MK8 extruder on creality printers.
All metal? What's wrong with PTFE?

Also, PTFE is critical at the interface with the hotend, so that filament doesn't melt too far up the tube.

slybunda

Post by slybunda »

didnt know that the extruder was made of PTFE

CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

slybunda wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:34 am anyone know if there is an all metal bowden available for this printer?
slybunda wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:14 am didnt know that the extruder was made of PTFE
I think there might be some terminology problems here. What do you mean by "extruder"?

You said "bowden" to start with. The Bowden tube is the flexible tubing between the filament feeder and the hotend. The name comes from Bowden cable, which is a wire cable within an outer sheath such as used on bicycle brakes.

Then you've got "extruder". This is the motorised assembly which feeds the filament (not the nozzle). Sometimes (but not on the Tina2) the extruder is mounted on the hotend, so that the filament is fed directly into the heater. On the Tina2 (and many other FDM printers), the extruder is remote from the hotend, and the Bowden tube connects the two. It is vital the filament is a snug fit within the tube, and the tube must not be stretchy in length, so the movement (forwards and backwards) of the filament at the extruder directly translates to an equivalent movement at the hotend.

PTFE tubing fulfils these requirements, is heat resistant, and insulates the filament from the hotend block until it reaches the backend of the nozzle.

The nozzle itself is made of brass on the Tina2, but some are steel particularly for some of the more abrasive filament materials.

slybunda

Post by slybunda »

The filament feeder comes up as a bowden extruder so no sure on terminology here.
Iv seen some all metal ones and dual gear ones but not sure if these are a one size fits all sort of thing.
Is one available for this printer or is it not worth doing. Thing is the all metal ones seem to be cheapo around £3

Here is pic of the one on the printer:

CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

slybunda wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:34 pm The filament feeder comes up as a bowden extruder so no sure on terminology here.
Iv seen some all metal ones and dual gear ones but not sure if these are a one size fits all sort of thing.
Is one available for this printer or is it not worth doing. Thing is the all metal ones seem to be cheapo around £3
"Bowden extruder" because it's an extruder at the far end of a Bowden tube rather than an extruder mounted on the hotend.

The Tina2 extruder has a metal toothed wheel to drive the filament, so I don't know what you think there is to be gained by replacing the standard assembly (and I don't suppose a metal replacement is available). From your earlier post I thought you meant replacing the tube.

slybunda

Re: Metal Bowden Available (Tina2)?

Post by slybunda »

ahh i thought these were standard fit items like this one:

guess no need to replace it if its not broke.

CrazyIvan

Post by CrazyIvan »

slybunda wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:01 am ahh i thought these were standard fit items like this one:
They might be, yes, but if the toothed wheel is press-fit onto the stepper there might be a problem removing the existing.
guess no need to replace it if its not broke.
If you're not having trouble with it, then I see no point. I enjoy my Tina2, but fitting an extruder like that would be like polishing a turd.

slybunda

Post by slybunda »

got my metal bowden extruder today, seems to be decent. not fitted yet, will keep it in my parts bin as a backup incase the original one breaks. hate waiting for stuff to arrive so always good to have parts in stock in advance.