"My First FDM Printer" - Tina2

Moderator: CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan

"My First FDM Printer" - Tina2

Post by CrazyIvan »

Hi everybody, newbie here!

I recently took the plunge with a Tina2 bought as nearly-new, to support a project in progress. Fortunately I am quite handy, because (on close inspection) I found one of the Z guide rails not correctly fitted, and after only a few days' trials the proximity sensor for calibrating the Z axis and auto-levelling failed.

Correcting the former required partial disassembly (finding and releasing the moulded clips holding the top panel onto the side mouldings), which was impeded by the cables connecting the various electronics assemblies. It would be very useful for future reference to have assembly instructions, because I can't work out what order this unit was manufactured in (it can't be as difficult as it appears!).

Correcting the latter was fairly easy by comparison, particularly after I removed the metal guard which covers the nozzle carriage (X motion). Visual monitoring is now much better (and I think I'm grown up enough not to burn my fingers). I did a little research on these inductive sensors and found an eBay listing for the same part number (albeit a different colour) for about £5. The only real problem was the connector onto the PCB: I jury-rigged the connections while I proved the new sensor worked, and then (once proven) spliced the cable from the old sensor onto it.

My Tina2 was missing its pre-loaded SD card; fortunately I (eventually) found the contents-as-should-have-been available to download so little loss. What might have been more awkward was that the spec says 8GB max for the SD card (which are difficult to obtain these days), but fortunately I found a 64GB card works perfectly well (even if overkill). These faults and omissions got me some money back off my purchase price, so I'm happy.

As a "my first printer" I'm really pleased with the Tina2. I have avoided dipping my toe so far because of the wide choice, and in the end went for "cheap". I have a little experience: I went on an introductory course at the local college some years ago, and have designed a few parts which were then printed for me mail-order. Yes the Tina2 has a limited build space (100x120x100), but mostly I will only make small parts and I am not averse to building in sections (I've found solvent welding works really well) – which was necessary for my project anyway, due to it having a functional cavity. My next printer might be home-made, with parts printed on the Tina2!

The Tina2, along with Linux versions of FreeCAD and Cura, took me from concept to product in very short time and practically zero (additional) learning curve (for the Tina2, not so much for FreeCAD!). It seems to be marketed as a toy though, and I don't think people buying one as a toy will be very pleased – FDM printing requires considerable nursing, and if you can't do 3D CAD or slicing you're stuck with pre-prepared print files specifically for the Tina2 only. Perhaps that's how mine came to be available.

According to the specs the Tina2 is only compatible with PLA filament, but I think there might be some wriggle room, which I will investigate in time. I've joined this forum with a filament question pending, which I will take up in another topic...

CrazyIvan

Re: "My First FDM Printer" - Tina2

Post by CrazyIvan »

CrazyIvan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:09 am According to the specs the Tina2 is only compatible with PLA filament
...and TPU

slybunda

Re: "My First FDM Printer" - Tina2

Post by slybunda »

Im loving my tina2 when it's working. Its small enough to fit anywhere and print quality is decent. Cant argue over price i got it for £100 non wifi model
Got to fix the proximity sensor now then hopefully back in action