UK PLA filament sourcing

All things relating to the materials used with 3D printers.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Antipodean

UK PLA filament sourcing

Post by Antipodean »

I need to get some spools of different colours to do some of the things I want. Looks like its going to be somewhere in the £15-20 for a 1kg spool of PLA, and more for TPU or PLA+ on eBay. Dealers seem to start in the £20+ for PLA. I wonder are there are European dealers prepared to ship to the UK without using eBay, then there is a chance of avoiding the VAT?

Another (possibly more reliable) source I have found is The Pi Hut https://thepihut.com/collections/3dqf?m ... 1122a87737 which claims 33 colours of PLA and also does resin, apparently all manufactured in the UK. The reels start at £17/kg with some colours being a higher price, but that seems the cheapest reliable source for the moment.

I have purchased a couple of lots of PLA off Amazon, consisting of small lots for users of filament pens. These come as 10 or 16m packs, with anything between 10 and 24 colours in a bag. haven't tried them yet, and one lot has supplied PETG instead of PLA, (and only 5 colours instead of the 10 listed) which is no good for me as I have a Tina2 which can't use PETG.

So, does anyone have any favourite suppliers for reels of good quality PLA filament?

CrazyIvan

Re: UK PLA filament sourcing

Post by CrazyIvan »

I would not suggest PLA+. Reading around, it seems what constitutes the "+" (additives) is not standardised between manufacturers. I'm not at all convinced of the benefits.