Why wont this simple model print ok?

Get help on your object. Also the place to share objects for free or just show off your design.

Moderator: CrazyIvan

Rectro30

Why wont this simple model print ok?

Post by Rectro30 »

Hello eveyone.

Im new here, new to 3D printing, but have been modeling in 3D for 20 years, not for printing. I have recently got a Vyper printer and am making somthing to be printed. Im using Cura, and am either getting errors with the model, or no errors showing but after slicing its filling in the areas that should be open? Im sure there are some dos, donts when modeling for printing, I know some but am baffled on this one?

With the change of internal structure I get same result plus a error in slicer.

Can someone help, please?

SophiaScarborough

Re: Why wont this simple model print ok?

Post by SophiaScarborough »

I recommend the options on this page (https://cubprin.com/en/how-to-set-up-cu ... -settings/). They're a great place to start. Simply download and import it into Cura.

EDIT: I'd also suggest reading everything on the website. It's a terrific place to start. The most crucial thing at this stage, by the way, is to spend 30+ minutes carefully leveling your bed. As you pass the paper between the bed and the nozzle, avoid touching the bed.

PjLLL

Re: Why wont this simple model print ok?

Post by PjLLL »

It looks like a CAD problem (non-manifold edges?). When you are slicing, CURA is throwing up errors or can't ascertain if a shape should be empty of filled so is defaulting to filled. Cura also has a section "Mesh Fixes" and one option is "Remove all holes", so you could look at that.

Could you import your model to something simple, like TinkerCAD and check the voids? I suspect you will see them filled in or get errors. That should be a step towards identifying where the error is occuring.

There are also www sites that discuss CAD problems when converting to an STL.

Hope that helps.